Welcome back! We hope you had a fantastic summer. We look forward to meeting all of our new and returning families on Back to School Night. We wanted to share with you some new things happening at Medeiros.
What I Need Time (WIN)
It is vital to have your students here on time. This year we are starting a school-wide intervention/enrichment/ELD time where students will be rotating to other grade-level classes from 8:45-9:15 Mon.-Thurs.
1:1 Initiative & Digital Citizenship
This school year the device to student ratio for all TUSD students will be 1:1. As we increase student access to devices and the web, we will continue to educate our students on digital citizenship and their digital footprint. We are asking our families to remind students that online accounts provided by TUSD are to be used to support the learning taking place in the classroom, or complete an assignment given by their teacher. Parents are encouraged to regularly monitor student use of TUSD Google accounts at home. Common Sense Media is a good resource for parents in teaching digital citizenship at home. You can visit their website at: https://www.commonsensemedia.org.
Safety & Security
As a part of our safety and security initiative, please note the following reminders:
- All gates leading in to and out of campus will be locked immediately following the morning bell.
- All visitors to the Medeiros campus, during school hours, must check in to the main office and receive a visitor’s badge.
- New this year- parents and family members will not be allowed on the blacktop in the morning. Our campus is safe and secure starting at 8:00 a.m. We will be starting this the second week of school.
- Please do not park in the yellow zone in the parking lot. It is only for dropping off and picking up your students. You must remain in your car the entire time.
We have moved our morning opening to Fridays. Visitors at morning opening are asked to stand in the “parent zone-which is by all of the tables” to ensure that exit routes for students and staff are not obstructed in the event of an emergency. Additionally, this will ensure students can participate in morning opening activities without disruption. If your child is on stage, and you would like to take a picture, you are welcome to come forward to take a picture, and then return to the “parent zone.” Please have your child be in line with their class. Students should not be in the “parent zone.” Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
To help ensure a fun and safe experience for all students and staff while on a study trip, please note the following reminders:
- Study trips are considered an extension of the classroom, and not a family outing. Only approved chaperones are to attend study trips and must be unaccompanied. No other children or guests are to attend.
- Chaperones who would like to transport their own child home from a study trip must complete the appropriate paperwork. Please see your child’s teacher for more information. Chaperones may not transport other students home from a study trip.
All adults interested in volunteering must complete a Volunteer Application which can be found on the TUSD or Medeiros website. Volunteering includes assisting in the classroom, serving as a chaperone on field trips, or any other form of contact with students. In addition to completing the application, a copy of a valid photo ID/Driver's License and updated TB immunization clearance must be included with the application. This process must be repeated every year to continue as an approved volunteer.
The Medeiros Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is an active and committed group of Medeiros parents who are looking for your support! Through various fundraisers and donation efforts, our students have benefited greatly from thousands of raised dollars. Please support our school with your membership and participation.
Mark your calendar: Back to School Night is Wednesday, August 21 at 5:30 PM. It’s going to be a marvelous year!!!