Inter and Intra-district Transfers
Intra-district Transfer Guidelines
“Intra-district transfers” (BP 5116.1) are defined as students who request a transfer from their home school to another school within the district. If approved, Intradistrict transfers are permanent; no annual renewal is required. A return to the home school would only be allowed if space is available at the grade level.
Note: Students who are approved for an intra-district transfer must maintain a 2.5 GPA, 95% attendance rate, and receive no suspensions. These conditions will be monitored quarterly. If any of these are not met, students will be returned to their school of residence for the following school year.
- Students requesting an intra-district transfer must request an application from their school of residence (neighborhood school).
- TK-6 requests must be received by the school of choice on or before February 1.
- 9-12 requests must be received by Student Services on or before February 1. Please complete pages 1 and 2.
- Placement rank will be determined by priority level and unbiased lottery results.
- Late requests will be ranked ordered based on the date received.
- Requests for intra-district transfers are considered if space is available at the requested school.
- Requests to opt-out of current intra-district and return to residence school are due February 1.
Grades TK-6: Complete fillable PDF form and deliver to requested school site.
Grades 9-12: Complete fillable PDF form and email/deliver to Student Services email@example.com
2023-2024 Intra-district Forms
2022-2023 Intra-district Forms
Inter-district Transfer From TUSD
If a resident of the Turlock Unified School District (TUSD) would like to request permission for their child to attend a school outside of the TUSD district boundaries, the parent/guardian must submit an Inter-district Transfer Request Form. The request is to be submitted to the TUSD Student Services Department located at the District Office. Final approval of the Inter-district transfer will be made by the requested district. If approved by the requested district, the Inter-district Transfer Agreement is valid for a term of ONE school year and must be renewed annually.
2023-2024 Inter-district Forms
2022-2023 Inter-district Forms
Inter-district Transfer to TUSD Guidelines
“Inter-district Transfers” (IDT) are required for students residing outside of Turlock Unified School District (TUSD) boundaries, who wish to attend a TUSD school (BP 5117). The approved interdistrict releases must be received by the Turlock Unified School District by May 3 to be considered. Please note that limitations in classroom space and district resources are primary factors in considering interdistrict transfer agreements. TUSD approves intra-district transfers AFTER the school district of residence approves to release student(s) from their jurisdiction.
- Contact your school district of residence and obtain an inter-district transfer form.
- Once the completed form is reviewed and approved by the district of residence, a copy will be forwarded to TUSD.
- Annual approved inter-district transfer releases must be received by TUSD on or before May 3.
- New inter-district transfer releases must be received by TUSD on or before July 31.
- Upon receipt of the approved inter-district transfer request, TUSD will request attendance, academic and behavioral records. During the prior academic year students are required to have 95% of higher attendance, a minimum GPA of 2.5 and zero suspensions for violations of EC 48900 to qualify for transfer.
- There is no guarantee that inter-district transfer requests will be approved by TUSD. Parents are strongly encouraged to keep their student enrolled at their home school until the inter-district tranfer is approved.
- The inter-district review process is, first and foremost, determined by the availability of space within Turlock USD.
- School assignments for transferring students are at the prerogative of TUSD.
- All inter-district transfer that reside north of Monte Vista Ave will attend Pitman High School and all students who reside south shall attend Turlock High School.
- The application for an inter-district can be denied due to overcrowding within Turlock USD schools or limited district resources.TUSD will send written notification to the parent/legal guardian and the student's district of residence as to whether the application has been accepted or rejected within 30 days of receipt.
- TUSD will notify the parent/legal guardian submitting a future year request of its decision as soon as possible, but not later than August 15.
- Parents or legal guardians have the right to appeal to the county board of education within 30 calendar days from the final date of denial.
- Inter-district transfer agreements shall be granted for a term of ONE school year and must be renewed annually. (TUSD reserves the right to rescind an interdistrict transfer at any time during the school year for behavioral or attendance issues.)
- TUSD may provisionally admit students to a requested district, based on their evidence that a final decision is pending with a district of residence, proposed district, or county board of education.
Existing law provides an exception to the residency requirements for a student whose parent is transferred to or is pending transfer to a military installation within the state while on active military duty pursuant to an official military order. A student may continue attending the student's "school of origin" during that school year, regardless of any change of residence of the military family. If the student's status changes due to end of military service, then the student is allowed to stay in the school of origin for the remainder of the academic year if he or she is between grades 1-8, or through graduation if the student is enrolled in high school.