What is Service Learning?
Service learning is a method by which young people learn and develop through active participation in a thoughtfully organized service experience.
- That meets actual community needs.
- That is coordinated in collaboration with the school and community.
- That is integrated into each young person’s academic curriculum.
- That provides structured time for a young person to think, talk and write about what he or she did and saw during the actual service activity.
- That provides young people with opportunities to use newly acquired academic skills and use knowledge in real life situations in their own communities.
- That enhances what is taught in the school by extending student learning beyond the classroom.
- That helps to foster the development of a sense of caring for others.
- That provides opportunities for school-to-college or school-to-career transitions.