2020-2021 Book Study
The TUSD Equity Task Force has embarked on a new book project for the 2020-2021 school year. Three suggestions we have for books for teachers in grades TK-6 are:
- Why Johnny Doesn't Flap NT is OK! - by Clay and Gail Morton (Neurotypical Disorder)
- Alma and How She Got Her Name - Juana Martinez-Neal (Latina girl with the theme of honoring one's name)
- Red - Michael Hall (theme - courage to be true to your inner self, honoring other's uniqueness)
The TUSD Equity Task Force is committed to equitable practices and experiences for all students and staff to mitigate social inequalities and embrace human diversity.
Diversity and Equity Vision Statement
The Turlock Unified School District will:
- Develop an attendance improvement support plan.
- Analyze curriculum to ensure the implementation of accurately embedded multi-culturalism.
- Educate and train staff and students on diversity and equity-related issues.
- Engage in courageous conversations throughout the District.
- Analyze data and programs to identify inequities and take corrective action.
- Ensure consistently high expectations for all student groups.
- Celebrate diversity and multi-culturalism community-wide.